- To critique and review published papers on all aspects of tobacco and related products' use behaviour, and publish the critical reviews in peer-reviewed journals.
- To examine unpublished reports and work on the subject within Member Organisations, with a view to recommending publication in peer-reviewed journals.
- To identify gaps in total information and suggest suitable work to provide the necessary information.
- To propose practical and robust recommended methods for smoke analytes for all combustible tobacco products.
- To organise and conduct periodically proficiency testing of smoke analytes other than TNCO.
- To compile and review information on in vitro toxicity testing and apply learnings to further biological research.
- To organise and conduct periodically proficiency testing of tobacco and tobacco related products.
BMK - Biomarkers - 2009
- To review present knowledge of tobacco and smoking-related biomarkers of exposure and effect.
- To organise and conduct periodically inter-laboratory comparisons for selected biomarkers.
- To source and develop reference materials to support biomarker analysis for those biomarkers selected for inter-laboratory comparisons.